At the end of the 1850s, Johann Grillmair bought the "Buchleiten“ mill in Rüstorf. In 1884, the mill was transformed into a spinning mill. In order to honor the industrialist, the premises were renamed in “Johannisthal”.
At the beginning of the 1950’s, Erwin Greiner moved to Johannisthal, starting to rebuild the spinning mill. In 1967, the spinning and weaving mill “Spinnerei & Weberei Johannisthal Burkhardt & Greiner” merged with “Fa. C.A. Greiner und Söhne, Kremsmünster”. The spinning mill closed and a molding factory was built up.
In 1983, insulations started to be produced in Austria, whereas the production of aircraft seat cushions started in 1986. In 1999, the Greiner Group was founded, splitting the company into different divisions. This was the beginning of Greiner PURtec, later to be divided into two separate business units: Greiner PURtec and Greiner aerospace in 2012. One of our 4 production facilities as well as the competence center for aircraft seat cushions and dress covers is still located on this premise.